Whether you are traveling for business or leisure, you need a place to rest for the night, or even day if you are exhausted. There are many lodging options, from those that provide food to those that don’t.
The option you choose comes with its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s explore some:
- There are many options to choose from depending on your preferences. You can opt for a lodging facility that lets you enjoy maximum privacy or one that doesn’t. You can go for one that provides food and one that doesn’t.
- If you opt for a hotel, then you get to enjoy a world of amenities. This depends on how many stars they rate your chosen hotel. You may not enjoy the same amenities provided in a 5-star hotel in a 3 star one, for example. Amenities you can look forward to include bars, restaurants, a gym, free wi-fi, lifts, parks, and a swimming pool.
- You get to stay near the city center. Most hotels are conveniently located near the city center to ease movement.
- You get to enjoy in-house pampering from maid service, room service, to a world of other services depending on the hotel you chose. You may enjoy concierge service for example, which is very useful if you are new to the area and need help with things to do, places to visit, and gifts to give.
- Different lifestyles are catered to. If you are on a budget and don’t mind minimal accommodation, then you can go for a hostel. Such lodging facilities are perfect if you wish to meet other travelers. Besides saving on accommodation, you get to save on food as well because most have kitchens where you can do your cooking.
- If you are lodging in an Airbnb then you will enjoy a home away from home comfort. This of course depends on the lodging you get. Do your research and be careful, remember, all the glitters is not gold!
- Unless you are going for a 2 or 1-star hotel, you may need to spend much to enjoy the different amenities. If you are comfortable with basic accommodation and living on a budget, then the 1 or 2-star hotel will do just fine. Otherwise, if you need space then you have to go for a costly suite.
- Most hotel rooms are limited in space unless you request a suite.
- If you go to a hotel with numerous rooms, then you may not enjoy as much privacy as you may need.
- If you are looking to experience different cultures then perhaps chain hotels are not ideal. This is because what you find in one place or part of the country will be the same in others.
- Lowly rated lodging facilities tend to be poorly maintained. Don’t be surprised if you find a previously white pillow bordering on cream with suspect brown markings!
- Set times for checking in and out can be a pain if you are looking for maximum rest and enjoyment!
- Airbnbs may be relatively cheaper than hotels, mostly, and comfortable for short stays but they carry their risks. You may end up in a less than pleasant Airbnb, have weird neighbors, or worse, a weird host!